Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cameron Bell - post 7

To change things up a bit, I’ll tell you guys about my first experience where I thought I was about to faint! I have seen some gross things from infections, deep and bloody wounds, to even following an OBGYN (lady-parts doctor) in Guatemala. None of it made me feel like I was going to pass out - this is part of what made me think I was supposed to be a doctor. What 18 year old girl didn't get nauseous at the sign of blood? 
However, on one normal night in the ER, a small thing gave me my first experience. A woman came in very intoxicated with her boyfriend. She was hilarious, but not very nice, making snappy jokes and remarks at both her boyfriend and Dr. Rose. As the professional he is, Dr. Rose laughed with her at her jokes and brushed them off. Through her humor, it was hard to miss the bleeding laceration that was on her forehead, right over her eyebrow. The gash allowed us to see her skull and muscles when pulling on either side of it slightly. She explained to us through slurred words that she had tripped and fallen in her drunken state, hitting her head on their glass table. Dr. Rose took a look (I stood close behind him, still feeling fine) and he quickly told her that she was going to need stitches. She complained and said she wasn't going to let him touch her face. He joked back as we walked out of the room to take care of a few more urgent patients and grab the supplies to stitch her up. 
I was not grossed out by the wound or anything. It was just another cut to me. However, it was 4 am and I hadn't eaten since dinner time the night before. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling my absolute best. We went back into her room and after setting up, Dr. Rose began to stitch her up. I stood directly behind him, in clear view of his work. I watched closely as the needle punctured her skin, the thread was pulled through, and he tied his efficient knots (still felt fine). Six stitches later, her skin was closed and I put on gloves to wipe the blood and put a bandage on her forehead. I was still feeling steady until we made our way out of her room, and I suddenly saw black take over the left side of my vision. I felt wobbly and had to grab onto Dr. Rose’s shoulder to steady myself. I was going down…but I didn’t! I kept myself conscious and took a seat, sweating and dizzy, but I stayed awake! 

I have no idea what caused this weird episode. Throughout the stitching I felt completely fine. I assume that it was a combination of my lack of food and sleep with very closely watching a deep wound be stitched. I had always been so proud to say I didn't get grossed out! Hopefully I can go back to living up to that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment