Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Jackson Goldberg - Final Day Thoughts

So what have we learned here? I went into this project with an essential question regarding selling ideas, and I'm walking away with a whole lot of answers. From Sundance I learned about knowing your audience and crafting a presentation that simultaneously piques the interest of that audience and underlines what distinguishes your product. That's all great, and what was unexpected about Sundance was how directly my experience there related to my two weeks back in Cleveland. As it turns out, a major part of the creative department is script reading and evaluation, so I got a glimpse at a whole other side to the screenwriting submission process that I thought I wouldn't get to see. That connection proved to be a great asset towards my own writing, as when I sat down to work on my script I had already been given a rundown on the crucial elements of a screenplay. Having an eye-catching opening, using concise language, establishing motivation and distinguishing characters early on, these are what makes a script stand out and convince readers that you have something important to say. Right now I have a completed draft of a thirty page script, and I'm incredibly excited to see where this project goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment