Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Stingrays and Cake

Tuesday

Yesterday I got to work with Bruce, one of my absolute favorite people that I have gotten to know during my time at the aquarium. Unfortunately, Bruce had a really nasty fall last week when he was working on renovations for the new exhibit and he tore his rotater cuff which requires surgery next week. So I helped him out all day to repair one of the waterfalls in the new exhibit. In the past few days we realized that it started to leak pretty badly behind the exhibit. In order to better waterproof the Styrofoam rocks, I mixed together a brown and grey two-part epoxy that we pasted over the existing rocks. It was a really sticky and messy process, but it was fun nonetheless!

Wednesday

Today was a really great day and it turned out to be a really great (but also really sad) end to my project. I worked with Education this morning, taking a group of high school seniors on a tour of the aquarium and of the back of house areas. We showed them not only the aquatic life that is in the exhibits, but also the filtration rooms and the food preparation area. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with my favorite animals, the stingrays, in the coastal exhibit. I got to feed them one last time before I headed out. It was so bittersweet because I absolutely loved this experience and I met some amazing people! They even made me a going away cake to celebrate, it was delicious! I can't wait to go back soon to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment