Tuesday, June 3, 2014

last self defense class

Today was extremely bittersweet: it was my last day of self defense. My body is looking forward to the break although my mind is still eager to learn more. I've been spending around 13 hours at Fight Fit a week and with my show, around 20 hours of dance this week. So I am ready to be done moving around so much. For my final class, I brought my sister in. She absolutely LOVED being in class with me and definitely messed around a little. We warmed up doing a rotation that included 30 jumps with a jumping rope, 10 push-ups, and 10 mountain climber runs. After this, we dealt with what happens when someone comes at you with a front facing choke. With your left hand you move their hand ove renough to throw a right cross.





After this, you have to get into a power position (like an under hook and pivot out OR grabbing their shoulder and elbow with your elbows tucked in). It is much easier to show than to explain.







After this, we did a scary activity where half of us close our eyes and the other half randomly comes up to you and chokes you. You have to respond and then have them end up in a hold or on the floor. My sister hated this activity as did I but we understood its purpose. We did this ebcause no one is going to hold their hands out, walk up to you, and choke you. They are going to get you by surpise. Although it did not make this experience less scary. It was empowering to throw a 200 pound guy to the floor though.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a crazy day. But it sounds like a great way to end your project! Especially because you got to spend it with your sister. I really hope that you really won't ever have to use any of this knowledge in the future but I think that its a really cool thing that you got to learn about it and experience it. You're making me want to try out some classes, i'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete