Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Giant Squid and the Pirate Ship

Monday

On Monday I was with the education department again. I got to participate in my favorite program, the Coral (De)Construction program which teaches elementary school children about just about everything there is to know about coral reefs. Not only is it great to watch the presentation, which I find absolutely fascinating, but it is really amazing to see when the kids are really enjoying themselves and are really immersing themselves in the information.

So, I was about to join a group on a guided tour of the aquarium after Ben had finished with the presentation when my sponsor showed up to ask a favor. He explained that the Guest Services team was short a few staff members and did not have enough people to work the floor and help with the tours. So, I along with the other shadow, was asked to be in charge of the Exploration Station (ES). This is the room where families can come with their little kids to play with toys and color and look at some smaller tanks. It was a little boring at first because there weren't any families in the room. So to pass the time I decided to draw a little bit. Throughout the day I managed to complete my drawing, which is a giant squid clutching a mast of a sunken pirate ship!

After we were relieved, Darwin (the other shadow) and I helped to prepare materials for a new program that the education department is going to run. That basically consisted of cutting turtle limbs out of construction paper for a build-your-own-sea-turtle type of activity. It was a pretty quiet day overall but it was nice and calm for a change.

1 comment:

  1. This sort of triggered a memory for me, because when I was ten or so I loved drawing giant squids. I don't know why. But I remember being fascinated by their gigantic eyes and their tangled messes of arms, and often times I had them grabbing ships or fighting whales. Sorry, this is sort of random, but I just thought it was a funny way in which I found this post relatable.

    ReplyDelete